Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Teen Scene


Last night I took my 14-year-old daughter and two of her friends to a concert at the Masquerade in Atlanta. Actually four bands were there: The Maine, Mayday Parade, All Time Low, and one other group I can't remember the name of. We bought the tickets weeks ago. An hour before we're supposed to leave we can't find the tickets. I thought my daughter had them, she thought I had them. We looked everywhere we usually stick things. I even went back to work to look in a bag that I sometimes put things in. Nope. Not there. Finally I called TicketMaster and because we had saved the e-mail receipt, they were able to put our names on the Will Call list. One catastrophe avoided.


Her friends arrive at the house and we take off for downtown Atlanta. We arrive and get in line to purchase a ticket because one of the girls didn't buy hers ahead of time. She's about 30 people from the end of the line and they yell, "The concert is sold out. No more tickets." Oh boy. I didn't drive three teen girls all the way downtown to turn around and go home. Besides, three out of four us had tickets. We make a plea to the ticket lady at Will Call. We gaze at her and the other fellow in the booth with angelic faces and they decide to sell us a ticket. Whew! Another catastrophe avoided.

All are happy. We go in. The first band is already cranking. Yep. It's LOUD. Good thing I brought ear plugs! I stand in the back with the other parents. I stand for a while, but need to move around and really need to sit down. No seats. I go just outside of the concert room and lo and behold, I spot a couch with a Dad sitting there. Turns out he brought his 14-year-old and three of her friends for her birthday. I camp out there for the rest of the night. No ear plugs needed. The girls stayed in that hot, crowded room all night. They screamed and jumped and danced.


I didn't see any kids drinking, but plenty were smoking. The club had lots of security on hand keeping the exits clear and everyone under control. There were also plenty of parents there waiting for their kids. We stay until the very end. The girls wanted autographs. They hang around for another hour or so and the band finally comes outside. They get the guys to sign their shirts. The girls are thrilled. We pull out of the parking lot after midnight. We arrive back home around 1:00 a.m. The girls can't hear and they can't speak, but they're feeling great. They loved it. I even got a thank you from my own daughter. They're already planning their next concert trip. Hopefully another parent will step up and take them.


3 comments:

Karen said...

How cool are you! You deserve the Mom of the Year award!

So glad you were all able to get in, too!

Anonymous said...

Sue....that is so crazy. The guy in the picture with your daughter is Zach Merrick, with 'All time Low'. He is a personal friend of my Daughters Amanda and Erin. Believe it or not, they worked with Zach years ago at RVR. Zach and a few other friends were actually down visiting at our house a few Christmas' ago. Back before they were famous! Hope you enjoyed the concert...I probably would have been out in the lobby with you. -John W.

Unknown said...

John, that really is crazy. It really is a small world!