Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where Were You?


Just like my parents and many others remembered where they were when John F. Kennedy was assassinated, I remember where I was when I first heard about the terrorist attacks of 9/11. On the evening of September 10th I had just returned from a trip to New York City where I had met with a publishing company doing contract work for Porsche (that's who I worked for back then). I had flown out of Newark Airport and I remember getting home late because my flight had been delayed several hours. I was sleeping the morning of September 11, when our home phone rang. I answered and it was a lady I worked with at Porsche calling to make sure I was OK. Kind of fuzzy and sleepy-eyed, she told me to turn on the TV. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The first tower of the World Trade Center had been hit by a plane and they were trying to figure out if it was just a plane crash. Minutes later, another plan crashed into the second tower. I was glued to the TV. How could this be happening here in America? I could only imagine the horror of those who died that day and the grief of their loved ones.

I hope you'll think of this day on November 4, election day. I know John McCain and Sarah Palin support our troops and their role in the war against terrorism. They know that terrorists still pose a threat to America. Here's a portion of McCain's speech today on the seventh anniversary of 9/11:

"I have witnessed great courage and sacrifice for America's sake, but none greater than the sacrifice of those good people who grasped the gravity of the moment, understood the threat, and decided to fight back at the cost of their lives.

"In the Gospel of John it is written, 'Greater love hath no man than this: that a man lay down his life for his friends.' Such was their love; a love so sublime that only God's love surpasses it. I am in awe of it as much as I am in debt to it. May God bless their souls."

1 comments:

Norman said...

Here's a comment that lends another perspective to the "victim mentality" American populace after 9-11.

http://www.biblicalrecorder.org/post/2008/09/10/America-loves-a-tragedy.aspx

Norman