Friday, September 12, 2008

Arthritis Checkup

I saw my rheumatologist this week for a checkup. He came bouncing in the examine room and said, "How's my girlfriend?" Girlfriend? First time he's said that. He seemed to be in a particularly good mood that day. He continued to compliment me on my brown-fallish color outfit and said he looks horrible in brown.

Anyway, after some chit chat, we moved on to the medical examine. He looked at my hands and shook his head and sighed. He said he wished he had known me when I was first diagnosed with RA. Although after we talked some more, we determined that it might not have made a difference. In 1987 when I first "presented" (to use his terminology) they didn't have the revolutionary drugs that they have today to treat the disease. My doctor at that time could have treated the disease more aggressively, but the really radical drugs didn't come on the market until 2000.

If you're interested in reading more about the history of treatments for RA, check out part one of this article by Dr. Michael Makover. He's pretty much describing my experience. I also learned through his article that one of my all-time favorite actresses, Lucille Ball, had RA and was bedridden for two years at the start of her career. Wow, who knew? Renoir also suffered from RA. I didn't know that either.

I'm taking many medications for my RA--I'd be embarrassed for anyone to see my medicine cabinet. The most effective drug combo that I'm currently being treated with is an infusion of Remicade that I get every eight weeks and methotrexate. The great news today for anyone being diagnosed with RA is that the new drugs on the market are breakthroughs and can prevent deformities and allow you to lead a fairly normal life.
Two Sisters, 1881 - Renoir

1 comments:

Karen said...

Hey, Girlfriend! Tanna uses "presents" all the time. :o) I didn't know that about those famous folks, either.