Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Top 10 Motor Vehicle Mishaps

1 Taking a corner too tight in a Winnebago and ripping off the sides. I didn't realize I had done it until someone beeped their horn and when I looked in the rear view mirror, I saw a pile of aluminum on the side of the road by the fire hydrant.

2 Starting up an exotic Italian sports car in gear and jumping the curb. The car got stuck on the curb on a hill. They had to call a tow truck to move it so that the bottom of the car wouldn't sustain any further damage. The front desk receptionist announced it to the whole building over the intercom.

3 Backing up and scraping the side of my car on a truck bumper. I didn't realize it was scraping until it got to the rear door. It cost big bucks to repair. No damage was done to the truck.

4 Taking another turn too tight. This time in a pickup at a drive-thru. I cut the corner too tight around those brightly colored yellow poles and put a huge dent in the side of the truck, along with some yellow paint.

5 Backing out of the garage too quickly. I ripped off the driver's side mirror. I had to use duct tape to get it to stay on. The only color tape we had was bright orange and red.

6 Standing beside our scooter, starting it up on the kick stand, then revving the engine and pushing it off the kick stand while still holding on. It drug me a few feet and fell over. I cut and scrapped myself up pretty good. Smashed the turn signal lights and scratched up the sides of the scooter.

7 Getting pinned between the rear bumper of my car and the bumper of a van in a grocery store parking lot. The driver of the van drifted into me while I was putting groceries in the trunk of my car. After repeated yellings and banging on the hood, she finally realized what happened and backed up. Went to the hospital and was treated and released. No broken bones or leg cut off at the knee.

8 When I was 16, I let our neighbor drive our car home from a carnival. The road was wet and she took the corner too fast. We smashed into an embankment. I drove the car home and had to wake up my parents and tell them what had happened. I was grounded until I was 30.

9 I pulled our work van into a gas station in California after a long day of shooting video. The fuel door was on the wrong side of the pump. I backed up and turned around. I pulled up to the pump. The fuel door was on the wrong side of the pump, again. One more try and guess what? The fuel door was on the wrong side. I got out of the car, yelled, "I HAVE HAD IT!" and let one of my co-workers drive the car up to the correct side of the pump while I sulked off.

10 I pulled out of the gas station and forgot to remove the fuel hose from the car fueling door. I bent the fuel hose and got yelled at by the attendent. He said to just get out of there, women did it all the time.

Don't let me be the only idiot out there, share your driving mishaps!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Susan! I'm surprised I've ridden with you so many times and lived to tell about it! LOL!

I've hit a few cars ... and one big deer. Not fun. I am afraid of hitting a deer again and try to keep a lookout--but they just appear out of nowhere.

Anonymous said...

My WORD! I'm surprised you've lived to meet each of us.

I would put that incident of being pinned between cars at #1! And driving off with the gas hose? That's worse than #10!

Worst two for me were: twisting into a ditch on snowy country road when I was 22 and getting my dad's bowed-out Cadillac stuck against a pole when I was 18. Nothing since then that's worse than someone bumping into the back of me after a sudden stop.

I do have a funny story about teaching my foster sister to drive--she drove through a police car because she couldn't find the brake!