Sunday, August 31, 2008

Arthritis


I've had rheumatoid arthritis for 21 years. I was first diagnosed with the disease a few months before my wedding. I asked my husband if he was sure he still wanted to marry me and he said he was committed. Little did he know the trials we would face together. In the '80s they didn't treat RA aggressively like they do now and as a result I have several deformities--most noticeable are my hands. It has also affected my feet and hip. Over the years I've had many surgeries on my hands and feet and a hip replacement. I'm having my hip replaced again in December.

The disease came on with a vengeance. I'm not one to complain, but it was very painful. One of the hardest things to deal with was having to change my lifestyle. I couldn't do the things that I was once able to do--no more active sports, loss of energy, loss of strength. I questioned God and asked Him, "why?" I didn't accept the disease and my situation until I thanked God for it. That's right, I thanked God for allowing this disease to happen to me. If it wasn't for my faith in God and there being a purpose, I think I would be in deep depression.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me (2 Corinthians 12:9, NIV).

I'm so grateful for a husband who has stuck beside me through it all. The Lord blessed me with a wonderful man. The Lord has also blessed us with a beautiful daughter. One is all we both could handle. I'm thankful for where I work and my co-workers who don't judge me on whether my body is perfect or not. I'm often embarrassed by my deformed hands and fingers. But God doesn't see them. He looks at my heart and sees beyond crooked hands and feet.

I look forward to the day when I will have no more pain and no more disease. My body will be new. It's all because of what God offers me through his Son, Jesus, that I can look forward to heaven and a renewed body.

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true" (Revelation 21:3-5, NIV).

For now on this earth, I will look for the humor in life, it's a gift from God.


1 comments:

Karen said...

Love your outlook! :o) Keep on laughing--your laugh is great!