Monday, December 29, 2008

The Right Perspective

I'm not sure where this post is headed, but this is something I've been thinking about for a while, but I keep getting no where. Christmas this year was very different for our family. The economy has affected our lives--my husband doesn't have as much work, my brother was laid off from his job in early December and may end up losing his home and car, and my retired parents are seeing their investments drop monthly (that's what they live on) and we're also seeing our retirement accounts shrinking. We scaled way back this year, and it was still a great Christmas because it was more about the birth of Christ and being together as a family.

What bothers me is seeing some people, seemingly, not affected by the economy at all. People buying Mac laptops for their teens, trading in cars for Mercedes, giving their children hundreds of dollars to spend as they like, frequently eating out at expensive restaurants, and going on vacations. I guess I sound bitter or envious. And, maybe I am. I sure would like to go on a trip for Spring Break and hope that we could go away for a week this summer, but things are unsure.

Even some churches this Christmas went a bit extravagant with their Christmas programs. One church near me hired talent to perform and spent mega bucks--they even wanted to charge people to come to the program. This is a church that also has a congregation with many people out of work. The church members complained about charging to attend and the pastor decided to wave the fee, but he said from the pulpit that next year there would be a charge for tickets.

I need the right perspective on this. Can you help me?

2 comments:

Karen said...

Maybe some of the people got some of these things as gifts (vacations or such) or they had been saving up for them or they booked them a long time ago (before the economic situation got so bad) or ... or ...

Sometimes things aren't as great as they seem from the outside ... so maybe there is a lot of debt from these purchases ... or ... or ...

Just trying to think of other angles ...

Karen said...

on the church thing ... that sounds yuck.