Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Oh My, Driving Permit Time Looms in the Near Future

In a couple of days, Glenn and I will have a 15-year-old. In Georgia, that means that she is eligible to get a driving learner's permit. I'm not ready for this. She'll have to take a written test and pass it to get the learner's permit. I expect she'll pass. If I just hadn't had hip surgery, I'd feel more confident to take her out driving, when, of course, she would earn her permit.

Glenn and I both come from sports car driving backgrounds. Having worked for MotorWeek TV and for Porsche Cars, North America, I've spent a fair amount of time behind the wheel and on a racetrack. Glenn has been able to enjoy a lot of this with me. We'd really like to be able to take her out on a track and an auto cross course. We'd like her to respect the power of cars and learn how to handle them. All she can think about is getting behind the wheel and going. I guess I was that way, too. I do remember wanting that driver's license in such a bad way.

I still want her father to take her out first. Is that being a big chicken?

1 comments:

Karen said...

Wow--such a big step! Sounds like you two have a lot of great driving experience you can pass on. :o)