Thursday, June 26, 2008

Following God's Leading

My cousin, J, was recently diagnosed with cancer. He has three brain tumors and cancer in the esophogus, around the heart, lungs, and intestines. He has started radiation treatments for the tumors and will begin chemo soon. My cousin is 11 years older than me. When we were growing up and our families got together for the holidays, he and I didn't see much of each other because of the age difference. But what little time I did spend around him, I really liked him. He was usually smiling, had a great personality, and was very kind.

The news of cancer and its intensity hit us all very hard. He had been doing all the right things, going to the doctor every six months and having regular blood work done.

J is the oldest son of my father's brother. My parents have kept up with him and his wife over the years. They felt a strong need to go and visit them when we got the news of his cancer. My parents are strong Christians, and they were going with the intent of helping, listening, supporting, and sharing the gospel. They did all four. My father and J went on a walk and the Lord gave my father an opportunity to share God's plan of salvation. J said he didn't want to die and my father shared how he could have eternal life--all he needed to do was believe that Jesus, God's Son, died on the cross for his sins so that he could live. When they got back from their walk, J ran inside the house to get his Bible. My father had him read Scriptures of salvation and he made a decision, right there on his front porch to accept Christ as his personal savior. Wow! God had prepared the way and He used my dad to help bring him the final steps to salvation. His wife has not yet made a decision to be saved, but my mother was able to share with her also. She also was there for her when she needed to unload on someone. It was cleansing for both. I'm so proud of my parents!

1 comments:

Karen said...

That's awesome! PTL! I am sorry to hear about his cancer, but how wonderful that your parents could encourage them and share about the Lord.