Thursday, June 5, 2008

Chasing Rabbits


Well, actually, it was one rabbit. On Monday this week, I was getting ready to leave for work. I took our dog, Gracie, out back to tee tee. Gracie is a Vizsla (a bird dog). What was out back, but a bunny. Gracie spots it. She freezes. She points. She inches closer and closer. The rabbit does not move. It's hunkered down in the grass trying to be invisible. Gracie inches closer. I'm sure she's thinking, Hey, this has never happened before. No bunny has ever let me get this close! I'm going in!" Gracie gets within two feet of the rabbit, then pounces. The rabbit breaks free. The chase is on, but the rabbit must be injured because it's not running fast enough. Gracie is gaining--snapping her teeth. I'm yelling, "Gracie. Leave it! Leave it!" "No GRACE!" The chase continues. Grace is totally ignoring me. Grace goes for the neck. Whew, misses. Grace chases her all over the back yard. Finally, I come up with a plan to get a broom and try and skirt the rabbit out through the gate in the fence. I enter the chase. The three of us are running through the yard. Finally, I get the rabbit to go to the fence and I pin it there with the broom. I open the gate and attempt to push the rabbit several feet toward the fence. No good, the rabbit diverts and heads to the back of the yard. I run after it and get it pinned to the fence until we find a hole and after a few attempts, I push it through the hole. It's free. Go bunny and don't look back! Wow, what a morning. I arrive for work and discover I don't have my glasses. Great start to the week!

2 comments:

Karen said...

What a funny sight you three must have been! :o) Have a great weekend!

Delilah and Rocket said...

Oh how I've been there! Bunnies, birds, ducks our V just goes deaf when those critters are in the yard.