Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Case of the Crest Pad Rip Off!

$40 Crest Pad

$5 Crest Pad

What you see pictured above is called a crest pad. It gives relief for hammer toes. I recently saw my foot doctor and he "gave" me two of them. The pad is very comfortable and is giving me relief so that I don't need surgery just yet to correct the problem. When the doc gave me the pads, he said that I would be billed directly from the medical company that supplies the pads.

We got the bill about a month later--a bill for $80! That's right, 80 bucks! My husband freaked out. Well, maybe not freaked out, but was really peeved. I did a search on the Internet and found the same pad for $5. Yep, five bucks.

I called the doc's office and complained about the price. They were understanding and said they had just received another complaint that same week. I was told that DJ Orthopedics (DJO) sends the medical supplies to them, but bills the patient directly. The doctor receives no money for the pads. They called to complain to DJO. DJO told them that Medicare allows them to charge $40 for each pad. That's our government at work! Somebody better wake up! Rip off alert!

I called DJO and had to speak with a supervisor. She offered a 10 percent discount. I declined in favor of sending a letter of dispute. That's where things stand now. I'll let you know how things turn out. Look out DJO, a hot letter is coming your way--momma's not happy!

1 comments:

Karen said...

That is a ripoff! How can they get away with that? GO GET 'EM!!