Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Daylight Saving Time & Spring Allergies Don't Mix


I dread springing ahead one hour. I know it's only one hour, but it takes me a good two weeks to adjust. I feel tired during the day and when I go to bed, I have a hard time falling asleep. My allergies also kick in when the trees start to bloom and that also makes me tired. I got tired just thinking about posting a note on this blog.

Apparently this whole idea of saving daylight began with Benjamin Franklin. If you care to read in detail about DST, just click here. I read that Daylight Saving Time (DST--notice there is no s at the end of Saving) began in the the U.S. during World War I in order to save energy for war production. I had heard that DST was started for the farmers so they would have more time to work their fields, but I couldn't confirm that. After WWI states could choose whether or not to observe DST. Today, all states except for Hawaii, Puerto Rico, American Somoa, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Arizona (except for some Indian Reservations) observe DST.

In 2007, DST was extended one month and begins for most of the United States at 2 a.m. on the Second Sunday in March and lasts until 2 a.m. on the First Sunday of November. The new start and stop dates were set in the Energy Policy Act of 2005.

OK, that's it for the history lesson. But, if I had my choice, I'd stick with DST and not change!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Susan, I knew I could count on you to get Daylight Saving (no "s") Time correct. :o)

Anonymous said...

With all the writing and proofreading I do, I never realized there wasn't an "S" !!! Never really thought about it! Thanks for teaching this old dog a new trick.

That being said, I think your sentence about "all states except...." should probably say "DO observe DST" instead of "DON'T". Read it again, I think you've got two different ideas going on there. I may be wrong....but I don't think so.....

Beth

Unknown said...

Beth, you editor, you! Thanks for catching the misuse of "don't". I made the correction.