Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Something Stinks

A couple of years ago we bought a new, energy efficient washer and dryer. We opted for the front loading washer because it saved on water. Everything was great. The clothes would get so rung out in the spin cycle that it didn't take much time to dry them.

A few months later I kept smelling a bad odor coming from the laundry room. We quickly figured out that it was coming from the washer. How could this be? A new washer stinking? I googled the problem (I love the Internet!) and discovered that the water doesn't drain all the way out of the washer, so it sits in the bottom of the drum and mildews. It's a common problem with front loading washers. Wish we had known this before buying. I have tried several washing machine cleaners that you run through the washer, none of them worked.

Then I saw an ad on TV for Tide washing machine cleaner. I had to try it. It worked! It even cleaned the black mildew in the rubber door seal! It smells great! I wanted to share this with other unsuspecting front loading washer owners that there is hope and a great cleaner is on the market. Tide, please don't stop making it!




2 comments:

mj said...

yes, well, um. I just leave the washer door propped open an inch or two after the last load of the day and the water evaporates. no smell. but I will remember the tide stuff.

Unknown said...

Hey MJ,
I tried that, but maybe at that point it was too late and mold had formed. After using the Tide cleaner, I keep the door open after doing a load of laundry.