Monday, February 18, 2013

A New Attitude

The lyrics to Patti Labelle's "New Attitude" are running though my head. The beginning of the song goes like:

Runnin' hot, runnin' cold I was runnin' into overload,
it was extreme I took it so high, so low  
So low, there was nowhere to go like a bad dream
 
Somehow the wires uncrossed, 

my tables were turned  
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn
 
I'm feelin' good from my head to my shoes 

Know where I'm goin' and I know what to do 
I tied it up my point of view 
I got a new attitude!

I'm at a career crossroads right now and it's become clear that I need a new attitude. I "got the ax" from my job in September 2012. The signs were there that it was coming, but still when you walk into a conference room where your boss, your boss' boss, and the head of HR are at sitting at the table you know what's about to happen.

I had tried to prepare myself for this moment, but I still got that pit in the bottom of my stomach and had to fight back tears (my boss was crying, so that made it hard.) I was let go due to the company trimming back. No issues there, like I said, I kind of knew it was coming.

Even though I was laid off due to budget cuts, it still did a number on my confidence and self-esteem. During the month of October through December I took time to slow down and think about what I really wanted to do--work part-time, find a job close to home, find a job I would be passionate about, or not work? Not working was not an option. My husband and I have a daughter in college and we'd like to keep it that way until she graduates.

With encouragement from several people, I'm "networking." Sometimes when I'm in a large crowd of people, I clam up and the introvert in me comes out. So, I was tentative about mingling with a bunch of other people who also didn't have jobs. But you know, once I get myself out the door and to the job networking event, I usually come away with new insights, encouragement and having met some really nice people.

This is what finally hit home: my attitude in looking for a job plays a huge role in searching for a job. Today's speaker at C3G (Christ Centered Career Group) talked about helping others find a job and not focusing on myself and MY hunt for a job. He also talked about once you do get a job, to keep up the good attitude.

Although my attitude is a work in progress, I feel like "the tables have turned ... (I) know where I'm going and I know what to do ... I got a new attitude!"

Enjoy Patti's hit from the 80's


0 comments: