Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Laid Off -- Now What?

I was laid off from my job at the end of last year. I Googled "jobs for people over 50." (I'm over 50 if you haven't guessed.) Results came back with: crossing guard, private detective, senior living aide, operating room clean up person, x-ray technician, medical assistant, tour guide, ghost writer and the list goes on.

I couldn't be a private detective--might have to spy on people having affairs or maybe climb up a tree for a higher perch to spy from. The operating clean up person would be a stretch for me--I'd probably drop the surgical instruments. Being a tour guide has promise--I could use a microphone. Self-doubt set in. Thoughts went through my mind that maybe I'm too old to get another job--might as well put me out to pasture. The problem with this way of thinking is that if you dwell on it long enough, you start to really believe it and it couldn't be further from the truth.

In the article from Forbes, "How to Great a Job When You're Over 50," Renée Rosenberg, a career counselor who specializes in over-50 job seekers says, "The kiss of death is hunkering down behind your computer, reading job boards and sending your résumé into a black hole. ... It’s a matter of being open to change, being willing to change and looking at which of your skills are transferable.” (Full article).

That is so true! I was encouraged to attend job networking events in my area. Roswell United Methodist Church (RUMC) has a job ministry that has been around for 25+ years. They offer free workshops on resume writing, how to network, one-on-one LinkedIn profile reviews, how to find hidden jobs (and more). Experts in these areas volunteer their time to lead the workshops. Dinner is offered for a $3 donation. My mind has been opened to new ways of thinking. I've been encouraged. I've met super nice people who are in the same boat I am.

I could keep going, but I'll continue with what I'm learning in more blog posts.

If you live in the Atlanta area and are out of work and need help finding a job, check out these job networking groups:

RUMC
Crossroads Career Network
North Point Community Church Job Networking
Christ Centered Career Groups (C3G)





1 comments:

Rene Holt said...

Hi Susan,
Greetings from Nashville. Just want to send some encouragement. My husband Nick lost his job as a corporate pilot just as he turned 60. Needless to say, there was nothing out there. Four long years and nothing to fall back on but retirement. Then last year he was hired as a temporary back up pilot for a construction firm. He's still there, doing what he loves. Here's the key -- networking and not giving up. Blessings from one who knows how easily I could be in your shoes.

Rene'Holt