Sunday, April 18, 2010

Jeremiah

As I was sitting at the airport gate waiting to board the plane, I noticed a young man walk into the boarding area. He was young, dressed casually in shorts, wearing Tom's shoes, and a visor beanie cap backwards. My daughter would like those shoes, I thought. I gave him no more notice.

When my group number was called to board, I was ready to get on the flight and start the journey home. It was going to be a short flight--only 30 minutes--to my next stop where I'd catch my connecting flight.

Once on board and past the first class section I looked down the row of seats. It couldn't be. As I walked further down the aisle, yes, my seat was next to his--the young man with the cool, socially relevant shoes. The plane is practically empty and I'm sitting next to him, I thought. "Once the plane door is closed, I can move to an open seat," I said. "Why?" he grinned. "Don't I look like someone you'd want to sit next to?" Embarrassed, I stuttered for a response, "Well, no. I just thought you might like more room."

We ended up chatting during the entire flight. I found out he is a pastor's son and one of eight kids. His mother passed away a couple of years ago from ovarian cancer. He is in the army and was flying back to base in Hawaii and soon would be doing a tour in Iraq. We talked about our faith and God. Jeremiah is not sure if there really is a God. He's asked Jesus into his heart several times, but he just doesn't "feel" saved. According to his reasoning, it seems that when he sins he doesn't feel conviction from the Holy Spirit so he must not really be saved. We talked more about salvation. He knows the right answers, but God isn't a priority in his life right now, but he kind of wants Him to be.

Looking at all the empty seats on the plane, we were the only two sitting next to each other. A coincidence? I think not. I listened to Jeremiah--he obviously needed and wanted to talk. I tried to offer encouragement and offered to pray for him. I'll never know what will become of Jeremiah. I can only hope and pray that the seeds of encouragement that were planted will one
day take root and blossom into a strong faith and love for God. Will you pray with me for Jeremiah?

"And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart" Jeremiah 29:13 (NKJV).

2 comments:

Jason Barber said...

Thanks for your faithfulness Susan. I prayed for him tonight after reading your blog.

Casey Barber said...

praying that God will make Himself known to Jeremiah!