Monday, February 23, 2009

Kindle 2


Have you heard about the Kindle? It's Amazon's handheld electronic book reader. Today they began selling the Kindle 2. When I first saw the Kindle several months ago on Amazon's Web site, I thought it looked like a neat idea. But, when I saw the price, I quickly lost interest. The Kindle 2 sells for $359. The Kindle can download, store, and display up to 1500 books.

The Kindle Store has more than 240,000 books available, plus top newspapers, magazines, and blogs--all of which are available for download for $9.99 or less via Whispernet. According to Amazon, "Whispernet utilizes Amazon's optimized technology plus Sprint's national high-speed (3G) data network to enable you to wirelessly search, discover, and download content on the go. Your books and periodicals are delivered via Whispernet in less than 60 seconds. And unlike WiFi, you never have to hunt for a hotspot."

OK, enough of the free advertisement. I wonder where they came up with the name for this thing? And, what type of person does this gizmo appeal to? My guess is that traditionalists won't want to give up the feel of paper and the joy of turning the page. People who are into gadgets and technology will probably love it.

4 comments:

Karen said...

ehhhh, I'd rather hold a book with real pages and such. ;o) I mean ... IF I was going to read a book ...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd rather hold a book, but of course that means killing more trees....

I have a friend who travels a lot for her job and she absolutely LOVES the Kindle--she can carry a whole library with her, without making her suitcase heavy!
Beth

Anonymous said...

I'm a techie and I even prefer real books. Mostly because I can dog-ear the pages.

Anonymous said...

Books on paper still have a future. I’ve read somewhere that you can put your own html, doc and PDF files onto the Kindle. It's better then reading books on a laptop, but $359 for this device seems high.