Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What Happened to Wi-Fi at Starbucks?

I'm a little put out. I went to Starbucks yesterday to kill some time while I waited for my daughter and brother to get out of the new Batman movie. I took in my laptop and thought I'd do some work, check e-mail, surf the Net. I sit down at a table, fire up, and attempt to connect to the Wi-Fi. It's not working. That's weird. I ask the Starbucks guy if a code is needed. He tells me that to connect to the Wi-Fi, I need to purchase a Starbucks card for at least $5 and then go to Starbucks.com and register to get Internet access. I asked how long ago did this happen and he said about a week ago. He gives me no further instructions--he can't be bothered.

OK, fine, I'm not discouraged yet. I purchase a card. Then I realize a problem, I can't get on the Internet to register my card! Now I'm not happy. I close down my computer and sit there and watch the other customers, and fume.

Flash forward to tonight at home. I log on to Starbucks.com to see about registering. Here's what it says, basically, about getting access to Wi-Fi: Purchase a Starbucks card. Register online where you will agree to sign up with AT&T Wi-Fi and receive spam e-mails at least five times a month as well as junk mail in your snail mailbox. For this wonderful benefit, you'll be given two hours free Wi-Fi access per day at participating Starbucks. To continue to get access to WiFi, you must use or reload your card at least once a month. Fooey on them! Forget it. It's not worth the trouble! Whatever braintrust at Starbucks came up with this idea should be fired!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was talking to a friend yesterday and he discovered the same thing as you. I guess with the nature of the economy, fewer people are buying the overpriced beverages so they have to make money somehow. My friend told me that Chick-fil-a has free wifi. You might check your local establishment.