Friday, January 2, 2009

IKEA Adventure

My daughter and I wanted a cabinet for her bathroom. Ikea--that's the ticket, we thought. We had never been in an Ikea before. We ventured there alone, no expert to guide us. (If you're familiar with how Ikea works, than you know where I'm headed with this.)

Our shopping trip was not quite an adventure. It was more like a nightmare. You know, the kind where you're lost and can't find your way and you stand there spinning in circles while hordes of people pass you by?


We found the entrance, but no signs inside tell you where to go. We found the checkouts, but couldn't figure out how to get on the other side of them to shop. An employee instructed us to go the Marketplace and pointed us in the right direction. After trying out all the elevators to the parking lots, we found what we thought was the shopping area which was supposed to lead to the Marketplace.


We couldn't figure out what floor we were on! They had maps, but NONE of them marked "You Are Here."


We turned in circles, we found the restrooms, and finally followed the arrows on the floor. We walked through the ENTIRE store. We asked another employee if they had bathroom cabinets. "No," she replied. We were growing more and more frustrated (and hot). My hip was tightening up. We wanted out of there!


Now we find another warehouse area. We have no idea what you do here. Our goal was to get out! Find the checkouts and get out!

Finally, the checkouts are in sight. And we're out of there. Afterwards, we talked to my brother--he knows how Ikea works. It turns out that Ikea has a system, but you have to somehow know the system. Once he explained it, it all made sense. But come on, how about some instructions for newbies!? I guess that's how the Swedish think! A word to the wise, learn the Ikea system before going shopping there, or take a personal guide to show you the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same experience there- and have never been back!
Luann

Karen said...

As much as I like that place, the last few times I have been there I was about to go crazy! When I am ready to go, I am ready to go ... but to exit that building takes an act of Congress!