Friday, January 16, 2009

Melanoma Scare

I used to worship the sun when I was a teen and in my early 20's. I'd lather up with oil (SPF 4) and try and get tanned. The problem is that my skin is fair and I always ended up getting burned. As a result of all those hours baking in the sun, I've made my skin more prone to skin cancer.

Two years ago my dermatologist didn't like a spot she saw on my back. I had it removed and it turned out to be melanoma. Melanoma is nothing to laugh at. People die from it. Now I need to go in at least twice a year for full body checks for other suspicious spots. She's found a few she didn't like and removed them--they've turned out not to be cancerous.

Today I went in to see my doctor, Diane Duvall, for a full body skin examine. I hadn't been to see her in two years. When they find skin cancer, you're supposed to go in for yearly body exams. I knew she'd scold me and she did, but she reprimanded me in a nice way. She asked me why I hadn't been back to see her for two years. She told me to be honest. So I told her that I didn't like getting cut, and the healing process was painful and gross. She listened. Do you know how much I appreciated her listening? I don't drive 25 miles each way just because she's the only doc in Atlanta. I go to her because a) she's good and b) she cares. My daughter also likes and trusts her.

Dr. Duvall and her assistant, Tameka

She explained that if I would come in more regularly, it would actually reduce the amount of cutting she has to do. When you go in for a full body skin exam, they check your skin for moles and suspicious spots that appear irregular. They measure them and document them. Then, the next time you come in for an exam, they measure the same spots to see if they've grown. If they've remained the same size, chances are they won't need to scoop them out.

She even checks between your toes! Thorough!

I'd put off coming back to see her because on my last visit she didn't like a mole she saw and said on my next visit she'd cut it out. Well, today, after our discussion on my aversion to cutting out spots, she said that the mole hadn't changed and we could just "keep an eye" on it. Whew! I was so relieved!

My point is. Use sun screen. Take it seriously. Some people might still be alive today if they had. And, get checked out by a dermatologist.

They use these nifty computer notebooks to take notes.

She also wears the coolest shoes!

1 comments:

Karen said...

Those are cool shoes! She sounds like a great doc!