Saturday, April 26, 2008

New Baptist Hymnal


I'm a traditionalist, I admit it. I grew up in a Southern Baptist home where we went to church Sunday morning--that was when what we call "connect groups" today was called Sunday School, Sunday night--Training Union (that doesn't exist any more) and worship service, and Wednesday night prayer meeting. Today, some churches don't even have a Sunday night service. One of the things I enjoyed about Sunday night was we usually had a hymnal sing. People from the congregation would raise their hands and request a favorite hymn. We'd turn to page 162 and sing "The Old Rugged Cross," or turn to page 92 and sing "He Lives." On Sunday morning, the choir director (not worship leader) would ask everyone to stand and turn to page 100 in their hymnals, found in the back of the pew, and sing together "Victory in Jesus." I'm glad LifeWay is publishing a new Baptist hymnal. I wonder where the churches are that are using them? They're certainly not in my little world of Alpharetta, Georgia. We've visited several churches--none used a hymnal--didn't even have them there TO use. I miss singing from the hymnal. You can see the music and notes and actually sing a part, I like alto. I'm not knocking praise songs shown on big screens, but I'd love to crack open the hymnal and sing a stanza or two of "Blessed Assurance." And in case you're wondering, I'm in my 40's.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been in contemporary securkar music since I was 16. I've also played bass in praise bands. I like the Hymns too. We attend a church that uses Hymnals, and sings hymns. I guess I'm still a rebel, always bucking the trendy thing.